201 Technical Section

Materialize (Design 201) [Y2 S1]

Our first project of our 2nd year asked us to look at a material for exploration and research. We were given a site near King’s Cross to work with, and we were to design a workshop for a craftsperson connected to our chosen material. The project only lasted 7 weeks so was very short, but intense. Image quality looks really poor for some reason, will replace the images when I get chance.

103 Final Model

Home is where the heart is…and House for an enthusiast (Design 103) [Y1 S2]

Design 103 asked us to look at (and study) our own homes, and to then apply the knowledge we learnt from our research to design a house for an enthusiast.

I decided to study my term-time address, and experimented with different ways of presenting plans, sections and elevations.

For the second part of the project, I decided to design a house for a street artist (which tied in with my 102 project). I started by defining my client, and looking at the movement of people around the site and surrounding areas. Having a clear definition of the clients needs and requirements made the design process a lot easier.

Client Description

I made a series of quick sketch models to work out which shapes and forms worked well within the site, and how the amount of sunlight could be best used. As the concept developed, I incorporated digital design and hand drawings to obtain an even mix in my presentations.

The light analysis lab at the university allowed me to capture an accurate representation of the amount of direct light the site receives throughout the year.Light Study

102 Final Model 02

Intervention In The City (Design 102) [Y1 S1]

Our second design project asked us to create an Inside/Outside room. We were given the choice of three sites in the Borough Market area, and then given a fair amount of free reign to design a building we felt would be suitable for the area, the task at hand and also to have a positive impact on the area.

For this project I made many rough models to see what sort of shape would compliment the surrounding areas.

As the design concept progressed, I started to make more accurate models for analysis. I spent time in the light analysis studio to try and find the best way of producing a design that would make the most of the natural light available. Computer models played an important part in the design process, and also helped me to learn the new software faster. The computer models combined with the card models helped my design improve with each step.

During the later stages of the project I started to involve photoshop more, to try and get a (slightly) more realistic view of what the site would actually look like with my proposed scheme. These photoshop images went a long way in getting across what I wanted to achieve with this project, and backed up my arguments for the design decisions I made along the way.

102 Street Scene 02

Void Project Model

Concrete Pouring (Communications) [Y1 S2]

During our communications studies we experimented with shapes and forms made from concrete. We were tasked to make a mould which would create fascinating voids, surfaces and shapes. I chose to base my mould around a rotating stack of slim rectangles which would create strange, powerful shadows and lines. I added other simple shapes and smooth lines around the edge of the mould to create various indentations in the concrete.

Tower Strength/Ratio Test (Technology) [Y1 S1]

During our engineering and technology studies we were given the task to construct a bridge or a tower that would demonstrate our understanding of load distributions and strength to weight ratios. I opted to go for a tower based on the designs of the John Hancock Centre and the Willis Tower. I wanted to use the cross bracing on the outer walls of the structure for effective load distribution, with the stepped roof climbing up to the centre of the tower. These two elements combined created an elegant and structurally sound tower. I used lightweight balsa wood, laser cut to ensure consistency, and ultra strong balsa cement for bonding. The towers were tested until destruction to calculate the strength to weight ratio.

Mies Van Der Rohe – Barcelona Pavilion Study (Week 5) [Y1 S1]

We looked at construction and materials in week 5 of our study of the Barcelona Pavilion.

I chose to look at the assembly of one of the main walls of the pavilion as it is incredibly prominent item within the pavilion. I drew an A2 exploded axonometric in pencil with some additional details not shown in the attached image, with coloured pencil rendering.

Mies Study Week 5